Baselworld is universally recognized as the most important marketplace and trendsetting event for the world’s watch and jewelry industry. With more than 1500 brands representing every sector of the industry, Baselworld distinguishes itself as the only show that regroups all the global key players from watchmakers to jewelers, from diamonds, pearls and gem stones dealers through to machinery suppliers.
The 2015 edition begins this week, taking place between 19 and 26 of March. Today we present you 10 curiosities you probably didn’t know about the show:
- During Baselworld, the small town of Basel, Switzerland, nearly double its population (from approximately 170 inhabitants into more than 300 000).
- 1500 exhibitors, between independents and belonging to large groups, will expose at Baselworld 2015 in an area of 141 thousand square meters.
- The history of the show dates back to 1917 with the opening of the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel, of which a section was devoted to watches and jewellery.
- Baselworld, The Watch and Jewellery Show was also named as BASEL (following by the year of the exhibition) and BASEL 95 – The World Watch, Clock and Jewellery Show.
- The show underwent a major redesign in 2013, now privileging more than ever the watch and jewelery industry at the highest level.
- The show is completely full for 2015. Sylvie Ritter, the Baselworld director, choosed not to extend the area of exhibitors, not to impair the quality of the event.
- The construction of the stands starts about two and a half months before the show and about 30,000 professionals are involved in this process.
- 150,000 visitors are expected in the 2015 edition.
- 30,000 people daily work daily in the stands of the brands and event organization as a whole.
- With the advent of smartwatches, the Baselworld’s organization is considering the possibility of promoting new technologies in a future event.
And you, are you going to be on Baselworld 2015?
Luxury Safes will have journalists monitoring the event! See you in Basel?